Vienna, what a place. Rose and I stayed with her friend Sophie, and her and her partner Florian were our personal tour guides for a few days! I loved the architecture, the palaces (there were many!), the art, the FOOD.
Schönbrunn Palace, former imperial summer residence:
Hofburg Palace, the former principal imperial palace of the Habsburg dynasty rulers and today serves as the Austrian prime minister’s residence:
Belvedere Palace, the summer residence for Prince Eugene of Savoy:
I loved the art so much, particularly seeing Klimt in the flesh!
Other (non-palace) things to do/ places to eat:
- We drove up to Neustift am Walde, a hilly area with a great view back to Vienna. Ate at Zeiler am Hauerweg – v traditional Austrian cuisine.
- Prater park – old school amusement park open 24/7
- Hundertwasser House – an (instagram famous) set of brightly painted apartments
- Eat at Naschmarkt – massive market in the middle of the city
- St Stephen’s Cathedral (and Mozart’s apartment is around the corner)
- Rathaus – cool outdoor area in front of the building that had a pop up summer food market when I was there
- Museumsbibliothek – beautiful old library
- Albertina Museum
- Merkhur Hoher Market – a very fancy supermarket. Spent a long time wandering around in awe. Also spent a lot of money on excessive picnic items.